Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Goals

For some unknown reason I quit this blog after the Lake Wobegon Marathon, the thought of future blogging is also still in Limbo.  Lake Wobegon went well with a 2:49:00 finish an unexpected 2:47:00 Marathon was quite a surprise at Grandma's Marathon the following month.  The season ended with another painful death march at the Sawtooth 100.  I started to have  iliotibial band problems around 50 miles and ended up hobbling for 50 miles.  I was the hardest thing I have ever done thus far in my life and I learned a lot about who I was and what not quitting means.  Tears of pain were running down my cheek it hurt so bad. I finished slightly faster than the previous year but it came with a price.  I totally shredded my IT band and have run four miles in the last month.  I don't see any ultra races in my future, not because of two painful sawtooth finishes but because I have other goals I would like to achieve.  I got into endurance sports to see how far I could go.  I have accomplished nearly every goal except qualifying for Kona (Ironman World Championships).  As the years have gone by race results, training years and thousands of miles have started to blend together making me feel old.  Before It's too late I would like to see how fast I can really go.  The best way I can think of doing this is by entering a couple mile races.  Not everyone understands or knows how fast a 2:45:00 marathon is but everyone knows how fast a 5:00 minute mile is. The off season is going good, even with the lack of running I have been doing some strength work, plyometrics and even yoga in attempt to correct some muscular imbalances in attempt to injury-proof my body for next year. 

3 comments:

Jordan Hanlon said...

Hey if running one milers works for Ryan Hall it's worth a try.

Terry said...

I ran the Superior 50 this year. I started having IT issues during the descent into Tettegouche. Finally I am starting to be able to run again without IT band straps. I realize your pain but can't imagine bearing it for 50 miles, it was excruciating.

Terry

Terry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.